Friday, December 9, 2016

A Milestone, a Choke Hold, and Vera

I meant to do a blog post on Wednesday, but I have been severely fatigued as of late.

Even though I have been running low on energy for the past several days, I have been working on a super secret special project; one that hopefully will allow me to share my Hollywood-envious life story with people interested in learning more about the autism spectrum.

On Wednesday, I turned in a proposal to become a speaker for the 2017 (15th Annual) Milestones Autism Conference here in the Greater Cleveland area.

I will not know if my submission will be accepted or not until sometime in either February or March.  The deadline to become a speaker is on January 15, so I have that covered.

The only thing that I have to be careful of is the verbiage the conference wants me to use. They do not want me to use "identity-first" language ("I am autistic"), but rather "person-first" language ("I have autism").  Maybe if I show up with a Trapper Keeper or a puppy and name it "Autism," maybe that would get the identity-first language point across.

Or, this suggestion could easily shoot down my chances of even being a speaker to begin with.

At any event, this is a big deal for me, to be able to share my story with humans who are not stuck behind a computer screen.  I am finally able to escape from a proverbial choke hold due to fear and shame.  Just the act of submitting a proposal to even be a part of this conference of awesomeness is legit hype.

I just hope these "professionals" are ready to deal with a wild caught, blue-collar raised East Side brain with a West Side mouth.

If I do get accepted, and get permission to brag my azz off about it, you will see it here FIRST.

No comments:

Post a Comment