Thursday, May 4, 2017

The 720 Consecutive Hours, #BrokeBrilliance, and Vera

Today is the day that I start the Whole 30 challenge.

A digital scale with two feet on it, along with the numbers:
Body Fat 45.3%, Body Water 39.8%, Weight 340.9 lbs,
Body Mass Index 48.8, and Bone Density 8.1%
The what now?

Yes, Dear Reader, Whole 30. Thirty days of added sugar, added salt, grains, dairy, and legume free eating. It's like that dreaded gluten-free/casein-free (GF/CF) diet I did in my 20s, but no sugar either (that could probably explain why my sugar was so high then).

That should be pretty easy, no?

The site that dictates how the program works doesn't think so, and neither do I. Not because of the sugar and grain withdrawals I will eventually experience, but because I need to eat healthier with limited cash and even more limited ways to prepare healthier foods.

The key to Whole 30 is making your own food. That's great, if you have a kitchen or even some basic cooking appliances.

I have a refrigerator/freezer and a microwave. That's it.

Hey, what happened to that slow cooker you had and that little griller?

The little griller made too much smoke inside My Happy Place, triggering off my smoke detector. I ended up throwing away the slow cooker?

Why?

It stemmed from having a moment.

Vera, you got to stop throwing away stuff when this "moment" occurs.

Yeah, I am working on that. However, I don't want to accumulate stuff like so many other folks I know do. I just want the basic essential items, and that's it.

A dry erase weekly calendar with body measurement statistics:
Weight: 340.9 lbs (the following are in inches) Chest: 48,
Bust: 8 (Complete Chest: 56), Waist: 54, Hips: 61.5,
Left Thigh: 32.5, Right Thigh: 32.5, LUPA (left upper arm) 16.5,
and RUPA (right upper arm) 15.5.
Okay. So, how do you prepare a piece of chicken breast in the microwave?

I haven't figured out that one yet. When I do, I will let you know.

In the meantime, I have dedicated a page of this Broke Brilliance (not to be confused with Broken Brilliance) as I chronicle my daily activities.

I may stumble for a bit until I get the right ingredients (pun intended) to successfully master the Whole 30. Today is May 4, but I can not guarantee that I will be fully completed by June 3. I may be successful for thirty consecutive days by the end of June or even the end of July. But we all shall see.

Also, I reintroduced myself to my little Fitbit Charge HR watch (which I bought in December and haven't used since my birthday). This will help track my movements and my sleep (which, according to the Fitbit, I barely got 4 hours of restful sleep last night after dedicating 8 hours to rest). That 4 hours is more than likely contributed to my *new* all-time high weight.

Next Tuesday will be the one year mark of my menopausal inducing surgery. In that time span, I have gained 25 pounds. Not acceptable in my world.

And unlike previous attempts at weight loss, for some reason this has me motivated, partly because I can't move for shit now, and I am not proud of that at all.

I wish you good luck, Vera.

Thank you, Dear Reader. I need all the good luck I can get.

No comments:

Post a Comment