Thursday, July 13, 2017

TrotCon 2017, Nerves of Cooked Spaghetti Noodles, and Vera

Columbus, I'm here. *blows out light from oil lamp*

Okay, this is not a wrestling event I am attending, but rather a comic book convention for all things My Little Pony I am a part of. I am half excited to be here, half nervous as hell as to what's to come over the next few days.

Yesterday, I met up with the con co-chair and her husband in preparation for this upcoming weekend. And let's just say: I tip my trilby to them for the work that they put into this convention. This is not easy by any means. Their house was filled to the brim with all the items they needed to transport via moving truck to here; boxes of sponsor gift items, pins, posters, and t-shirts; bins of stim toys up for sale and personal items. It takes a lot of manpower to get these items going. I would be overwhelmed if I had to do something similar to the sort.

But the worst is behind now; the lugging of logistics via moving truck for 2.5 hours down Interstate 71 South. And now with the convention just less than two hours away from (unofficially?) kicking off (pre-registered attendees can pick up their items tonight rather than wait until tomorrow morning), folks are coming in from across the 614 (the telephone area code for Columbus, Ohio, USA), across the Buckeye State, across the country, and even from around the world, just for this weekend of awesome pony fun.

And it's a good thing I brought my anti-anxiety medication with me. I have a feeling, with seeing so many people *already*, I will need at least one to keep the nerves of cooked spaghetti noodles from drying up and frying up.

For the next couple of days, via my Facebook Page, I will be uploading some awesome photos of the convention, inside and out. From setup to tear down and everything I can possibly think of in between, I will do my best (body allowing) to get a sneak peek into all that is TrotCon 2017.

If you are coming this weekend, I look forward to meeting you!

I will be doing not one, but TWO panels, both on Saturday.  First, at 10:00am EDT, I will be a panelist for a session about autism 101, hosted by the con co-chair (who is also openly autistic).  Then, at 4:00pm EDT, I will be hosting This, That, and Vera's Blog Tour 2017. I will be discussing about how in the holy shit did I manage to survive, passing as a neurotypical, for about 25 years, as well as providing tips on how to avoid autistic burnout. My goal is to be both educational and entertaining for you folks. I mean, hell; you're giving me an hour (or two) of your time just for this panel, so I better make it worth while for you.

And if you see a big and tall brat in a black trilby, walking around looking lost and despondent, ask them if they want a hug. Nine times out of 10, they will say "Yes!" and greet you with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment